Live Your Legacy
Home Page » Articles » Articles » Tax-Smart Investment Strategies » How to sign up for the NC 529 Plan

How to sign up for the NC 529 Plan

  1. Gather the following info:
    1. Participant Information (usually the parent): Social Security Number (SSN) or Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN), birth date, address and e-mail address.
    2. Beneficiary Information (usually the child): Social Security Number, birth date and expected year of college enrollment.
    3. Bank Routing Information:  If you plan to contribute to your Account via automatic draft, have a check available to make sure you enter your bank account number and the bank's routing number correctly.
  2. Go to and click on "Save (NC 529)" on the top right. Then click "enroll" to set up your account.

  3. FYI: See page 14 of NC tax instructions for Form D-400, line 51 NC DOR Form D-400 Instructions (PDF):
    "Line 51 - Contributions to NC College Savings Program
    You may deduct up to $2,500 ($5,000 on a joint return) for contributions made during the taxable year to an account in the Parental Savings Trust Fund of the State Education Assistance Authority (North Carolina's National College Savings Program - NC 529 Plan), regardless of your income level."

  4. Remember to talk to your CPA, attorney, and financial advisor to determine your risk tolerance and goals for this account (Jon Dewar is available at 919-881-2850 or Make sure you read the prospectus for all investments and remember that you can lose money in any investment.
Legal | Privacy Policy | Insurance Quote | Careers | Contact Us | Staff Login | RSS | Sitemap | Download Our Brochure


2840 Plaza Place Suite 206, Raleigh, NC 27612

Toll-Free 888-854-7526 • Local 919-881-2850 • Fax 800-785-1070